Frequently Asked Questions

How can I reserve space in Founders/UGL?

Room reservation requests for Founders and UGL can be made here: 

Reserve a Room

The point of contact for all room reservation inquiries can be directed to Errol Watkis, Manager of Events and Facilities for the University Libraries. 

How can I pay my library fines/fees?

Please email for payment instructions. 

Or, visit the webpage "Fines and Fees" for details on how library fees are structured. 

Are there printing services in Founders/UGL?

Printing services are available in the Undergraduate Library in the computer lab, managed by ETS, on the ground level. 

How do I check out a book?

Patrons may request a book through their library account, and come collect it at the circulation desk located on the second floor of Founders Library. 

Patrons can also search through our stack area to find a book- Access Services staff, located at the circulation desk, can assist with stack navigation. 

Only current Howard University faculty, staff, students, and patrons affiliated with partnering consortia may borrow books from Howard University Libraries. Borrowing patrons must present a valid University ID. Memberof the public and alumni cannot borrow Library materials.



How do I get help with research?

Our reference department is primarily responsible for research support. Learn more about all of our reference services here. 

For general inquiries, send an email to Or, visit us in person at the reference desk, located on the second floor of Founders Library. 

What is an Inter Library Loan?

Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service provided by Howard University that allows faculty, staff, and students to borrow resources from other Libraries all over the country, and even internationally.

There are two different types of ILL requests that a user can make: 1) within the Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC), which Howard University is a part of along with nine other Universities in the DC area. 2) outside the WRLC to any other University throughout the country. 

Requests with the WRLC can be made by searching for a book through the Bison Search (the main search box on the homepage). If the book is owned by a WRLC school, it can be requested by click the “CLS request” link which will direct you to a pre-populated request form.

See more borrowing information here. 

Contact out ILL Staff at, for general ILL and CLS questions